Sunday, June 16, 2019

Staffordshire Spongeware Dresser Doll Powder Box

























Once in awhile I go to a yard sale and find something that makes my heart go pitty-pat...yesterday was one of those days!    And to think I almost missed the sale as it was my husband (who was driving so what's my excuse) who said, look there's a yard sale. There were a few things that caught my eye which I did purchase but it was this particular item that made my day.  It was one of those times when you just knew you had stumbled upon something special.
























The elderly lady whom I purchased this from told me that it was something her mother had had and that it was given to young brides or put on a bridal table.  To collect money maybe?  I thought that charming and loved the piece.  I had to have it and the price was agreed upon.  Not that I have any place to put it (and a piece like this deserves a "place" doesn't it) but it's one of those things that will only pass thru your hands once in your lifetime, and lets face it all this "stuff" in life really is only ever ours for a time anyways.  So now I will let it go and remember it fondly.



















I dug in and did some research and found that it was Staffordshire bisque pottery, sponge painted, and was used as a powder box or trinket box on a woman's dresser.  It is unmarked as was quite common at that time.  There were local potteries which sold their blanks to the public so you had a lot of cottage industry going on where the blanks were hand-painted, and in this case sponge painted as well, then returned to the pottery for glazing and firing for a fee and then sold.  They were cheaply made and that's why you don't see very many of them still in existence today.

























This wonderful Staffordshire Spongeware "Crinoline Lady" dresser doll powder box is in exceptional condition with no cracks, some fine hazing, and 2 small chips on the inside of the rim of the top piece which are not visible when displayed.  Stands 7  3/4" tall.  This piece is estimated to be vintage bordering antique in age.  A rare beauty!

Asking - $50

Note:  All articles will be posted within 3 days of payment clearing, well packaged, insured and signed for.  Postage and packaging fees will be an amount in addition to the asking price of the article and may vary according to the location of the buyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment